The Turkish-German Frontiers of Research Symposia (TUGFOR) are a joint undertaking of Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Stiftung Mercator and Koç University. The format is modeled after the very successful program of binational Frontiers of Research Symposia the Humboldt Foundation carries out regularly with the United States, Japan, United Kingdom, China, India, Israel, and Brazil.
This conference brings together approximately 50 outstanding young Turkish and German scholars and scientists (50 % from each country) of various disciplines. The conference format allows for the exchange of ideas across disciplinary as well as national boundaries and, at the same time, provides opportunities for future Turkish-German collaborations and networking.
Participation is by invitation only.
- 1st Turkish-German Frontiers of Humanities Symposium 2013 “New Constellations of Migration” (November 27 – 30, 2013 / İstanbul, Türkiye)
- 2nd Turkish-German Frontiers of Humanities Symposium 2014 “Cultural images and objects in everyday life” (November 27 – 30, 2014 / Bochum, Germany)
- 1st Turkish-German Frontiers of Social Science Symposium 2015 “Changing Climate – Changing Lives” (November 26 – 29,2015 / İstanbul, Türkiye)
- 2nd Turkish-German Frontiers of Social Science Symposium 2016 “Forced Migration: Structures, Actors, Processes” (November 24 – 27,2016 / Gelsenkirchen, Germany)
- 3rd Turkish-German Frontiers of Social Science Symposium 2017 “Mediterranean(s) in the making: Perceptions and Realities” (November 9 -12,2017 / Berlin, Germany)
- 4th Turkish-German Frontiers of Social Science Symposium 2018 “Inclusion, Exclusion and Mobilization” (September 27-30, 2018 / Potsdam, Germany)
- 5th Turkish-German Frontiers of Social Science Symposium 2019 “Where do we go? Türkiye and Germany and the Digital Revolution” (October 24-27, 2019)